Saturday, March 16, 2013

Friendship

Caring, giving, self-sacrificing, these are all words I would use to describe Erin.  She is the type of person who has shown up at my doorstep with an easy bake oven she found at a yard sale, because she knew I always wanted one as a kid.  Or, buys another friend a real Cabbage Patch doll because she didn't have one when she was little.  Erin is also the person who volunteers to watch my kids when they are sick, even though she is home enduring chemo side effects. Truly, she is the type of person to bend over backward for a friend and think nothing of it.  Well, this week I have been fighting some really nasty bug.  When Erin found out I was sick, she asked me what I needed.  I told her I needed her little chemo butt to stay far, far away from the germs at my house.  She said she would leave things on the porch and never come in contact with the air I am breathing.  I assured her I needed nothing but rest and went on my way.  Well, about day three of my lovely illness, Erin sent me a text, indicating I should peek on the porch.  Yep, total care package out there for me - cough drops, magazines, flowers, and more.  Seriously?  I am going to be just fine, she is the one who should be looking after herself.  She and Claire repeated the gesture yesterday, with a small, thoughtful surprise left on my porch.  I'm not sure what I did to deserve such a great friend, but I know I am so, so blessed.

Honestly, I have not been able to visit with these two much lately.  I am hoping they are doing well and handling chemo as best they can.  I know that Erin only has one more dose of chemo, but I'm not sure where Claire is at in her schedule.  Hopefully, I will have more updates, soon.

Thank you to our latest dinner delivery gal, too.  A friend of a friend of mine, who does not know Erin or Claire or me, has signed up to bring multiple dinners to the family.  When I thanked her for taking the time and energy, she was very humble and acted like this is just what people do.  Honestly, I love seeing that.  There has been more good in this journey than I ever could have imagined.  It is something I wouldn't wish on anyone, but seeing the way our community rallies to help out others is awe inspiring.  Thank you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment