Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Eleven Pink Months and Counting

Over the last (almost) year, I have learned how precious life is and how quickly things can change - good, hard, or downright rotten.  This year has been one of the harder in my own life and I am merely standing on the sidelines, trying to remember to smile and cheer for my dear friends.  I cannot begin to fathom what this year has been like for Erin and Claire.  Although we haven't chatted about it, I imagine our hopes for the next year are all very similar..... life without cancer, chemo, or any of that heinous crap-ola.  I have no idea what the timeline looks like for tests and whatnot, I truly am *that* good of a friend, but I do know that now both mother and daughter are finally finished with radiation.  Claire wrapped up her last treatment about a week ago.  Although the side effects have been tougher for her, I am sure she is anxious to get past this hurdle and face whatever the next steps may be.  

I am so proud of how hard these two have fought to conquer the vileness of cancer.  I know there must have been so many times that were near impossible to push through, but with the love of family, friends, and even strangers sending whispers of encouragement, our gals continued onward.  Unfortunately, even though the intensity of the initial diagnosis of both women has dwindled, the fight is not over.  I have felt myself relax some, but today I realized something very important.  As Erin was sharing her thoughts about scans to come, I realized that the fear, the life-threatening potential of this awful illness, is still very, very real.  I am so impressed with the strength she and her mother have shown, that I often forget that that strength is part of their armor.  So, to Claire and Erin, I pray for the cancer-free days, when we really can relax with a glass (or case) of wine, and celebrate two bodies filled with healthy, cancer-free cells.  I apologize for getting a little lax lately, but please know that all of us in your vast fan club love you, are pulling for you, and dreaming of the time when this is a rocky road we can hardly recall.  Keep fighting, Ladies.  So proud of you both.

If you would like to renew your supportive energy with a little pick-me-up card:
Erin Hughes / Claire Bistline
3118 W Grace Ave
Spokane WA 99205


Donations can still be made at any Spokane Teachers Credit Union (Spokane, Post Falls, Bonners, Newport) to the "Erin Broughton Hughes Benefit Fund."  I'd love to find some creative ways to boost that account back up as I can only begin to imagine how tough the financial world must be for them both.  Any great fundraiser ideas out there???  Hmmm......  

No comments:

Post a Comment