Sunday, November 4, 2012

Besties Forever

One of the very best bosses I ever had was at the mall, years ago.  I was working my way through college and had no idea I was going to be making life long friends.  I truly just thought I would scrape enough together to pay the bills and get myself through teacher school.  A couple of close girlfriends (Jennifer and Kerrie) and I worked for this gal who was always kind, considerate, self-sacrificing, and consistently went over the top to help all of us succeed.  That boss was Erin.  We became friends during our years peddling sunglasses and often spent many after work hours together.  Since that time, the four of us have tried really hard to schedule a handful of girls' nights every year.  With families and children, it has been tricky at best, but somehow we have made it work.  We held each others hands through a handful of boyfriends, 5 weddings, 7 births, 2 divorces, 2 miscarriages, 1 funeral, a smattering of disagreements, and more cocktails than I care to remember.  Often, we have talked about one day being four old ladies still sitting down at a local restaurant for cosmos and girl talk, while wearing our red hats.  

This weekend, Jennifer, Kerrie, and I manned the storage container at the grange on our first donation day.  Honestly, we had a ball.  We reminisced about the good ol' days and gossiped about life right now.  We also squabbled like sisters and poked fun at each other in a way that only truly great friends can do.  Just like when we were 20 somethings, we shared some diet cokes and fries, taking breaks only to help unload another donation.  In my heart it just felt perfect to be with these two amazing women.

After we locked up and headed off, we met Claire and Erin for lunch.  It was absolutely perfect.  We belly laughed when Claire walked in with a big velvet hat Erin had found for her at Value Village, complete with hideous fake roses on it, shared stories from our decades as friends, chuckled at the things our kids have said or asked, and just generally enjoyed being together.

So, what is the purpose to my babbling?  I feel so completely blessed.  It is not often that people make friends as young adults that endure into the real world.  The four of us will support each other through this awful journey, picking up Claire along the way, too.  I absolutely hate that people I love are fighting cancer, but I am so happy to feel the love, support, and "stay-bility" of our little group.  (Yeah.... I said it, stay-bility.... all for you, Miss Jennifer.)  And, even this reluctant hugger is learning how to give a good two armed hug, although I keep hearing, "It really is too bad that it took one of us having cancer to get you to give a good hug."  I must admit, I am getting better at this hugging thing, even if it is weird because I make it weird.... thanks, Kerrie.  It is true, we will be best bitches forever.  Love that and love you all.

As for an update from Cancer-land, Erin is set for round four of chemo tomorrow.  Claire will be doing a herceptin treatment as well.  I know these two have strength that I cannot even fathom, but I'm sure tomorrow will knock them on their buns a little.  Please continue to keep them in your thoughts and prayers.  I am praying for a restful, healing week for both.

When we left the grange yesterday, the semi-trailer was probably about 1/3 of the way full.  Thank you to everyone who stopped by with a donation of items we can sell.  Donations will be accepted on Tuesday night from 5-7 p.m. and on Thursday and Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. both days.  Thank you for thinking of us!!  The tag sale will be on Saturday, November 10th, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  We can't wait to see you there!





No comments:

Post a Comment