Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Generosity

Tonight, I delivered a meal from Erin's World Market coworker, Linda, and a basket from her World Market friends.  I really am the lucky one to get to show up with the goods that someone else has slaved over and delight in the joy from Erin and her family.  After I was given the goods, I picked up Erin's oldest and my oldest after taekwondo, and headed off to her home.  My guy and Gavin giggled hysterically in the back of my car.  They laughed about video games, youtube videos, school stories, the kid who farted in class, everything.  It was honestly a happy moment for my soul.  There is truly something pure and healing in the laughter of children.

My younger boy recently found some candy cigarettes at a store that we bought and tucked away in the car.  I had bought them for him with the caveat that he never ever smoke a real one.  He agreed..... I won't forget that!  So, Morgan (my oldest) and Gavin (Erin's oldest) created a plan to freak out Claire (Gavin's grandma) by walking in his house with these candy cigarettes hanging out of their preteen lips.  It was honestly hysterical, especially because they were biting and chewing the ends like candy and definitely not like genuine cigarettes.  Erin was on the couch when the boys came in and played along with shock and disgust at our boys indulging in a good "smoke."  It was a very fun, goofy, real life moment.

Erin, Claire, and I enjoyed a bit of a visit while the little men played.  Erin shared the many amazing gifts she has received - scarves, hats, cards, wine, and we peeked through the beautiful basket sent by her friends at World Market.  It was so fun to look at all of it.  The outpouring of love and support is humbling and gratifying all at the same time.  Erin was in a great mood.  She talked, laughed, teased me about more things than I care to remember, and was just her beautiful self.  I loved every minute of it.  Honestly, I could have stayed and chatted with her and Claire all night, if I thought they both were up to it.....and if I didn't have to work tomorrow.  It was almost like old times.... just some baldness, some hats, a pink ribbon or two, and some meds thrown in.  Otherwise.... exactly like old times.

While we were talking, Claire and I hit a serious topic.  I can't remember the exact nature (I have my suspicions... um.... cancer....) and the boys ran through the room.  Claire and I continued down our deep conversational path and Erin started giggling in a way that almost seemed inappropriate to us.  Turns out, the big boys were chasing Landon through the room while he was carrying a sword and donning an impressive pig shnozz on his face.  It was so fun to watch Erin's face light up with joy and hear her giggles fill the room.  Landon was truly a sight to be seen.  I followed the boys outside with my phone and begged for the following shot.....  My son is apparently retired from modeling.... as he ran off when I mentioned a photo......

Those boys crack me up.  So, so funny.  I love them dearly and am so glad they constantly bring a smile to their Mama's face.  A pig snout and a sword, with bunny ears, is pure humor.  I love it.

Thank you to everyone.  Erin has felt your love and support.  She and her family have appreciated your generosity and thoughts.  This road isn't over, it definitely isn't smooth, but it is survivable because of the love and support of friends and family.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment